Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Still Learning - enter Full Ass Mode

My numbers might look good (16 pounds weight loss in just over 5 weeks) but in some ways I'm still floating by in doing this thing right. I'll admit, I still don't really know that much about nutrition.

I've been meaning to pick up Metabolism Advantage by John Berardi on Billy's recommendation but both times’ I've been to the book store I've forgotten about it. Plus, why by a book when I can just ask Billy over IM? Ha!

No, the real answer is that I have some more learning to do.

For example: the past week I've felt sluggish come evening time. It might be because I'm not eating enough calories. I figure I'm consuming about 1800-2000 a day. I burn at least 360-400 of that every morning on the bike. I'm 6'3" and my weight at this moment is 275. So that's probably why I'm losing weight as fast as I have. It's also probably why I'm tired.

I'm eating well, as in low fat, not too crazy on the carbs and sugar, I'm just not eating enough.

And I know why. I'm not eating enough because if I don't know what the right thing to eat is I just don't eat at all.

Here's an example:
I ran out of breakfast foods I keep at my desk at work. All I have is this can of Bush's Best Vegetarian Baked Beans. It's a small can, although it says its three serving. If I open it I'll eat the entire thing. I'm still not sure how to exactly interpret "the numbers", so instead I just go hungry. Well, or I ask Billy over IM, but he's not always around, plus I'm sure he doesn't want to be my eating coach for the rest of my life :).

By the way, I need to eat the beans, because they're fine.

My point is that I need to make some adjustments. That would be easy if I knew what I was doing. I don't, so it's time to invest in some good 'ol learnin'.

It's easy to lose weight. But it's going to be just as easy to gain it back if I'm not an expert in my trade of nutrition/fitness.

I guess I'm typing this entry more as a note to myself. I need to stop half-assing the nutrition aspect of my lifestyle change if I'm going to be successful in the long run.

So … self? Get on it! Here I come F.A.M. (Full Ass Mode)!!!

5 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

Exactly right. And I LAUGHED OUT LOUD when I saw your blog picture today. Perfect (and yes, I will be stealing it).

The bottom line - and this is my motto for September - is that if you're not losing weight, it's your own fault.

We have too many excuses that we lean on. If you want it, you don't ask for it and hope it shows up.

You TAKE it.

billy said...

Yeah, you know what you need to do. You're a smart guy, just read those 2 books and you'll be on top of everything.

And how many times have I told you that "low-fat" doesn't mean good?

I know it's been hammered into your head for years, but just forget it. Keep your saturated fat intake lower than your poly- and mono-unsaturated fat intake, but other than that, forget the low-fat thing. Want some simple advice?

Meat. (leaner the better)
Vegetables. (in abundance and variety)
Beans, legumes and nuts.
Whole oats, grains and brown rice.
No sugar.
Limited processed carbs. (bread, pasta)
ALL NATURAL!
Stay within calorie range.
Portion control and moderation.
No beverage calories.
Protein and fiber=good.

That should get you by until you figure out more stuff.

Ripx180 said...

I 100% agree with Billy's recommendation. The amazing thing is if you follow those guide lines you will feel like you can eat a ton of food. Good whole foods are less calories than the low fat processed garbage that majority of the people eat.

Brian said...

you didnt mention fruit. Due to sugars? Or did you just forget it?

billy said...

i just forgot fruit.