Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Plans arent for fools, you big dummy.

As you may or may not have noticed by now, I've changed my header from my old "Plans Are for Fools!!!" text to something new. I feel this new header I threw together is a slightly better representation of what I'm doing here.

When I first started this blog (4 weeks ago today!) my intentions were to just throw the page up as fast as possible. I didn't want to put any time in the page that would delay me actually beginning the blog. I know myself, and sometimes I get carried away in the details instead of making real progress. The important thing here was to start with my "plan", not build a pretty blog. The sooner the blog was active the sooner I was on my way.

So, it's still not pretty (I'm no graphic designer)but the new title at least makes sense. By the way, "Plans are for fools!!!" is a quote from a cartoon called "Aqua Teen Hunger Force". When I was originally trying to come up with what to call my fat loss program and I could think of was "I need a plan". Then this quote would pop into my head right afterwards every time.

So, on to the task at hand. Last night I bought a book about men's health called
Men's Body Sculpting. For me, this is the first book that I feel really gives me all the details I need without being overwhelming. You see because, I dumb when it comes to fitnes and nutrition (although I'm learning). That said the book isn't so basic that it tells you a bunch of stuff you already know. It's aimed towards people who already exercise and diet regularly. So check if that sounds like something you'd be interested in, check it out.

In other news, I've decided to ALWAYS do my cardio routine in the AM first thing. Some days I'd get lazy and do it in the afternoon because I wanted to sleep in. Well, it's my understanding that you can burn more fat by doing it before you eat and first thing in the morning. I don't really know if this is definitely true, but it seems to make sense to me.

I'm also changing up my lifting routine a bit too. Right now I've been putting about 40% of my time towards building muscle and 60% towards burning fat. I'm going to change that to about 80/20 in favor of burning fat, but the time I put towards lifting is going to be more efficient. So far I'd only been working my chest and arms. I'm going to do more. I'll go more into that in a later post though.

That's it for now.I hope the F.A.T. Coalition is all doing well!

4 comments:

billy said...

I feel like the circuits I've been doing are perfect for fat loss and muscle maintenance. Focusing on compound movements (pullups, squats, deadlifts, pushups, etc) that use large muscle groups and no rest so it's kinda like doing intervals.

I don't know anything about that book, I hope it teaches you good stuff.

The workout in the morning thing is BS, it's no better or worse whenever you do it, in my opinion.

Brian said...

I dont know, its just what I read. I've will say I've heard the first thing in the morning theory from several people though. Check this out:

http://www.intense-workout.com/cardio.html

i'm sure you'd see results no matter what time of day you work out though.

billy said...

I will tell you this: You want real results? Do as much of your cardio as possible as High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).

It's basically going as hard as you can for a short time (30-60 seconds), then backing off to a cool down pace for a time (30-120 seconds), then repeating.

Every respected fat loss expert will agree with this, whether you do it morning, noon, or night.

Rob Tucker said...

As for the blog design, I like the logo. You'll notice that all of us 'experienced bloggers' have seen our pages evolve. Yours looked almost identical to mine as I started, and I was the same way. Just get it up, and deal with it later.

You're on the right path - and you're starting to sound more like Billy every day. You're willing to do the time and research to make it work. You're going to win this fight, as long as you keep at it. You definitely have the tools for it.